I’m just glad the light is low enough to de-emphasize my excess weight. And glad I lost some of that weight this past year. All I have to do now is lose some more and maybe finally use that book to learn to marinate my effing tofu.
By the way, I only just found out that Thug Kitchen changed their name to “Bad Manners”. This happened during the summer of 2020 when a lot of people were prompted to change their names due to unintended racial connotations. The company didn’t intend that, but they went with “Bad Manners” so they could still be famous as the vegan cookbook full of swear words and an intentional anti-elitist attitude.
I have a peculiar history with this Aztec deity. By Unknown author - Own work using: John Pohl's MESOAMERICA ANCIENT BOOKS: Borgia Group Codices CODEX LAUD, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=103011319 In grade school, my pop was helping me with research for a school report about “The Conqistadors.” You know, those guys who stopped imperialism and human sacrifice among the Aztecs by presenting their own brand of imperialism and human sacrifice rituals? Ah, but that was called “conversion by the sword.” I digress. The history book tailored for grade schoolers about HernĂ¡n Cortez said that he was mistaken for a god by the Aztecs. The details are a little hazy, but it had something to do with their ships, their armor, their boom-sticks, smallpox… okay, I’m going off track again. My point is, my pop and I started investigating the names of gods that the Aztecs actually worshipped. The most prominent name w...
Unfinished Tales Gods, the sky is oppressively grey The leaves are gone All I see are bare grey branches Winter is coming? Nay. Winter is here. I see flecks of dull yellow leaves over 1100 Warburton It isn’t much The mist lifts. The walls of 1100 are dull and beige I look across and focus on a window Inside, someone hunches over her sink She turns round Does she meet my gaze? I retreat from the window I see a figure appear and quickly fade along the trail behind 1100 I don’t see much Large thick black books lay stacked upon the coffee table I have read each one Past the door to my office My bookshelves are stacked. Space is meager There is no place to secure my bricks of pages Before me is a dead black screen on a dead black dresser whose shelves are sealed shut with moisture Another plastic slab made for games stands dusty, unsused. Knickknacks, tcotchkes for children Bring softness to the coffee table A bouquet of eternal plastic flowers sit in a ceramic pot. Ther...
I believe that thirty four years ago today, I became a full fledged teenager when I went to my first rock concert. When I was a wee boy, I would see teenagers with shaggy hair parade around in school and on the street with T-shirts that were artifacts of live shows of bands they had seen: Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Styx, Journey, Def Leppard, KISS, Rush, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Twisted Sister, and so forth. In my first year at middle school, I saw a girl who wore a denim vest displaying the Union Jack on the back with the words "THE WHO" printed along the St. George's Cross segment of the flag. I was curious about these wild shows they had gone to see. It seemed out of my league. Would a wimpy kid like myself ever have the experience of seeing a rock band play live? Would I ever partake in this rite of passage into teenhood? At the age of 12, I found a UHF music video channel called U68. I had discovered a band that took me by storm. Image Credit: rog...
I’m just glad the light is low enough to de-emphasize my excess weight. And glad I lost some of that weight this past year. All I have to do now is lose some more and maybe finally use that book to learn to marinate my effing tofu.
ReplyDeleteAt least you're not skinny-fat. That's the worst possible type of physique, and I'm stuck with it.
DeleteBy the way, I only just found out that Thug Kitchen changed their name to “Bad Manners”. This happened during the summer of 2020 when a lot of people were prompted to change their names due to unintended racial connotations. The company didn’t intend that, but they went with “Bad Manners” so they could still be famous as the vegan cookbook full of swear words and an intentional anti-elitist attitude.
ReplyDelete