I’m just glad the light is low enough to de-emphasize my excess weight. And glad I lost some of that weight this past year. All I have to do now is lose some more and maybe finally use that book to learn to marinate my effing tofu.
By the way, I only just found out that Thug Kitchen changed their name to “Bad Manners”. This happened during the summer of 2020 when a lot of people were prompted to change their names due to unintended racial connotations. The company didn’t intend that, but they went with “Bad Manners” so they could still be famous as the vegan cookbook full of swear words and an intentional anti-elitist attitude.
In the summer, the sun is my loving friend. The sun is a radiant beacon which, by illusion, is suspended in the aquatic blue sky. It blesses me with a warmth so intense, that I retreat to the pool in my building to temper its heat with cool water. It is a pleasant relationship. HOWEVER, in autumn and winter, the sun becomes a little distant in our relationship. It ducks out of the sky faster than I have time to appreciate it. An unwelcome wind bites my skin, even through the ever increasing layers of clothing. The sky turns a mocking cobalt, forbidding rather than nurturing. The sun changes its mood, and it intimidates me. So I hide in the bunker of my home, no longer lured into the open. I look out the large window of my apartment and I learn to fear the sun. The sun demands I stay home. O, Great Sol Invictus, how have I offended thee? Is it because I only see our union as a May to September romance. Is it my fickleness,...
The 21st century can be a bitch. Even more so than the 20th century, the 21st has all sorts of media that can saturate your eyes, ears, and brain. Even what you taste, touch and smell is synthesized. Take for example the microwavable Indian food (which is my weakness) that can seduce two of your senses until you grow bored of the flavor and aroma. Touch screens do away with those pesky keyboards, though many people of my generation opt for a peripheral keyboard to get the sensation of sitting in front of the electric typewriters we were trained to use in intermediate school. Nonetheless, the power we have at our fingertips is manufactured. So, what was I talking about? Oh, yeah. Meditation and the altered states of consciousness it provides. One more digression and then I'll get to the heart of the matter. Your favorite music alters your consciousness. It either mellows you out or it charges you up. An abrupt change of one state of c...
If you asked me at the age of seven why I thought the taciturn bounty hunter Boba Fett was so cool, I probably couldn't come up with more than, "He's got a rocket pack! And a flame thrower! And his helmet doesn't look like Darth Vader or an off the assembly line stormtrooper's!" He only had a few brief appearances in The Empire Strikes Back , but I had high hopes for the character. In Return of the Jedi , he exhibited more of his strong but silent character. But at last during the rescue of Han Solo, we got to see him actually use his jetpack! I remember the audience oohing and aahing at the spectacle. We got to see him use his whipcord! We got to see him actually look-- Aaaaaand then we were let down by his embarrasing "death" at the hands of a blind Han Solo. Solo whacks Boba Fett's jetpack at a sensitive point, send him flailing into the air, smashing against Jabba the Hutt's sail barge, and tumbling into the maw of a creature cal...
I’m just glad the light is low enough to de-emphasize my excess weight. And glad I lost some of that weight this past year. All I have to do now is lose some more and maybe finally use that book to learn to marinate my effing tofu.
ReplyDeleteAt least you're not skinny-fat. That's the worst possible type of physique, and I'm stuck with it.
DeleteBy the way, I only just found out that Thug Kitchen changed their name to “Bad Manners”. This happened during the summer of 2020 when a lot of people were prompted to change their names due to unintended racial connotations. The company didn’t intend that, but they went with “Bad Manners” so they could still be famous as the vegan cookbook full of swear words and an intentional anti-elitist attitude.
ReplyDelete