My Childhood Fear of Grandma's Rocking Chair, aka, THE GOTCHA.

What follows is an email I sent to my mother of one of my greatest childhood fears.

Try not to laugh.

- JJB

Mom,

Below is a computer illustration of my most feared childhood boogeyman:  

THE GOTCHA.


Grandma’s rocking chair used to scare me when I saw it at night with the lights out.  I thought it was giving me this evil grin.  Almost every night as a child, I would have a nightmare where I was in this stark environment like an abandoned playground.  Then I would see this rocking chair run from one hiding place to another.  He would say, “I’m gonna getcha… I’m gonna getcha… I’m gonna getcha…”

Then, after a long, pregnant pause, he would leap out in front of me and yell…

I GOTCHA!!!

Next, I would see this collage of newspaper clippings and fireworks and car chases.  

I would wake up SCREAMING and startle you.  I’d say, “Mom!  It’s The Gotcha!  IT’S THE GOTCHA!!! ”

I was scared stiff of that rocking chair, aka, The Gotcha.  Over time, however, I outgrew my fear and the rocking chair no longer scared me.  I look back at this period in my life with amusement.  “What’s so scary about a rocking chair?” I ask myself.

But he still might be out there, lurking in the shadows…

THE GOTCHA.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perfection Is The Enemy of the Meh.

My First Rock Concert.

Dream: Vána, Goddess of Confections (A Tolkien Inspired Dream).